The student news site of Duncanville High School

Panther Prints

Filed under Editorials, Opinions

Editorial: Avoid distractions in the hallways and get to class

The hallways of Duncanville High School

The hallways of Duncanville High School

The hallways of Duncanville High School

As the second largest high school in the nation containing more than 4K students plus the staff, seven minute passing periods are a part of the daily hassles at DHS. As soon as the bell rings, classroom doors start flying, and the students shoot out of their classes. As some of the students try to reach their class, most choose to be indifferent and use the time to socialize. Hundreds of students have made this into a habit for so many years, leading to an issue that should be addressed by faculty, administration and even the student body.

Students today who roam the halls have become so apathetic and disrespectful of their surroundings. They would rather have a conversation with their “friends” whom they have talked to for hours the night before, instead of getting early enough to class to obtain a proper education. Students take advantage of the seven minute passing periods to gossip, especially during the 2nd and 5th block periods when announcements take place. As soon as the tardy bell rings, Mr. Womack’s voice roars throughout the school, yet there are still students taking their precious time to get where they should be.

Students show no respect for the announcments. The rudeness is extremely apparent when the recitation of the pledge begins. These students continue to walk or even have a conversation with their friends without even pausing to at least show respect to the flag and to their country.  It is shameful that Americans themselves are disrespecting their own homeland, an act that should not be justified. It doesn’t matter if you’re trying to get to class or if you need to know the latest buzz of the party from last weekend, it is mandatory that you stop whatever you’re doing and give honor to the flag. At the end of the day, you’re still late to class and your excuses will not work either.

Students also block the hallways by showing nothing but “PDA”, an acronym that stands for “public display of affection”. The so-called term for high school “couples” sucking each other’s souls before they head to class. Goodbye holding of hands while walking in the hallways, hello to the disturbing sound of smooching as the new way to show a “couple’s” temporary love for each other.  Know the difference between acceptable and unnecessary; respect your girlfriend or boyfriend and see them off to class and get there yourself making it easier for everyone to get to class on time.

Last but not the least, the imminent fights provoked by immature kids in the hallways have to be put to an end. Often times, these fights cannot be avoided nor prevented by the officials and common students of the high school. As soon as the bell rings, the Main Street hallway transforms into a boxing ring in a matter of seconds. It seems as though another boxing match is about to commence. The crowd grows bigger and the chants get louder. Who are the main competitors? Kids who listen to hearsay. Kids who think they have something to prove. Kids who are extremely impulsive. They range from disputatious males to scrawny drama queens. It takes time for the officials and security to realize that a fight is going on, and it takes more time for them to arrive at the scene because of the overwhelming amount of people. These brawls not only cause trouble for the ones involved but also for the innocent students who’s intent is to get to class. The fights are really unnecessary especially when it happens in a learning environment. The students of today are obviously not mature enough to handle things in an assertive way. If there’s something going on, talk it out and not resort to violence.

High school should be a fun and safe learning environment for kids who want to obtain an education. It is an institution where kids are being prepared for college. Clearing the hallways should be the last thing the administrators should worry about. Passing periods should not be something stressful. Finally, teenagers should enter the glass doors of Duncanville High School as a mature individual, instilled with the values and skills necessary to help them in the future.